Monday, January 19, 2009

My Holiday Too

The earliest and some of the fondest memories in my life were spent listening to great speeches but no one more than Martin Luther King Jr.  I would love to say it was my idea but truth is the great wisdom of Mr. King was foisted upon me by my mother June Gabriel.

Young June

Our home was an homage to MLK with framed photos on the walls, figurines and albums and copies of his speeches.  Whenever he was on the radio or television we were told to stop in our tracks and remain very still so she could hear every word he said. We knew better than to argue or even make a sound when his voice filled the air. She would get serious, then  emotional, then happy, then she would say Amen and then repeat his entire message to us several times that day getting more and more animated as the day went on. In Memoriam - Dr Martin Luther King, Jr. by fiction~dreamer.●๋•

My mother was born in Springhill, Nova Scotia and  even though her children were of mixed heritage, she anchored us in our black culture that is so prevalent and proud in Nova Scotia. She built a library of black literature with authors and biographies of significant black accomplishment throughout the ages.

She loved music but her favourite album that she played over and over was the recorded speech I Have A Dream. I will never forget the day he was assassinated and my mother’s devastation and broken heart that the dream was over.

And today on the eve of Mr. Obama’s inauguration I too am celebrating Mr. King’s birthday and I am celebrating my mother. And how her dream has come true.

  back of tshirt

 

 

IMG_3446

My mother mailed this t-shirt to me last week – she’s been wearing hers for months!

Even though MLK Day is not an official holiday in Canada it is for my family and so many others here and around the world.

Happy Birthday Mr. King! And thanks Mom!

3 comments:

Maria Killam said...

It certainly is your holiday! This is such an amazing time for all of us.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that about your mother . . a beautiful post thank you for sharing -

Anita

Michelle said...

I can see why this is your holiday as well! I also grew up in NS...Cape Breton, actually.

I couldn't beleive what I was seeing yesterday, as Obama was sworn in...if the world's pleasure could be measured, I am sure the it is audible.

Great post...